Cat C1 - 7.5 tonne
HSM Driver Training Ltd offer lessons, training and refresher course for anyone wishing to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle, as well as C1 DVSA test. Our highly experienced, fully qualified driving instructors can help you learn to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle or give you tips and advice if you already have you C1 licence. We also offer C1 driver training for the police and ambulance service.
Licences issued from 1 January 1997
You will not have the C1 category listed on the back of your photocard licence and are required to take the DVSA C1 test to gain the additional category.
You will need to take the necessary C1 training and complete a C1 DVSA test. However, you will have to have passed your category B (car) test prior to this and also be over 18.
Licences issued before 1 January 1997
You may already have the Category C1 on your driving licence, followed by 107. This is a restriction code that will not allow you to tow more than 750kg. You will need to take the C1+E test to lift the restriction code 107 which will then allow you to tow a combination up to 12000kg.
Cost of training
HSM Driver training offer 2 or 3 day training courses with the DVSA test at the end of the last day. All of our training is on a one to one basis; however, we also offer training for larger groups.
3 Days (6 Hours a day – 1 on 1 instruction)
- Use of our C1 Training Vehicle
- 18 Hours One on one instruction
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1095 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1195 inc vat
- (£1087 with 10% NHS discount )
2 Days (6 Hours a day – 1 on 1 instruction)
- Use of our C1 Training Vehicle
- 12 Hours One on one instruction
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £765 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £895 inc vat
- (£817 with 10% NHS discount )
- Recap lesson followed with re test (6 hours)
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £415 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £475 inc vat
Training for 2 People over 4 Days (6 Hours a day)
- Use of our Training Minibus
- 24 Hours instruction
- DVSA Cat D1 x2 test taken end of 4th day
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1430 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1670 inc vat
- (£763 pp with 10% NHS discount )
Training for 2 People over 3 Days (6 Hours a day)
- Use of our Training Minibus
- 18 Hours instruction
- DVSA Cat C1 x2 test taken end of 3rd day
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1130 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £1310 inc vat
- (£601 pp with 10% NHS discount )
Initial Driver CPC practical training and test (part 4)
- Total cost (inc £55 test fee) – £305 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £55 test fee) – £355 inc vat
(£100 discount if integrated with 3 day course)
C1+E 7.5 tonne and Trailer Training
We also offer C1+E training once you have passed your C1 test to enable you to tow a trailer with your 7.5 tonne vehicle.
2 Days C1+E Minibus and Trailer
- 12 Hours One on one instruction
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £835 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £979 inc vat
1.5 Days D1+E Minibus and Trailer
- 9 Hours One on one instruction
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £655 exc vat
- Total cost (inc £115 test fee) – £763 inc vat
- Medical examination £ 50 to £100 depending on your Doctors charge
- Theory test: £26
- Hazard perception test: £11
How to obtain your D1 Minibus license
1. Order D2/D4 form pack from DVLA (www.gov.uk/dvlaforms)
2. Book a driver medical examination with your GP or local drivers medical company, you must take the form D4 with you.
3. Send both completed forms (D2/D4) with your current licence to the DVLA to get the provisional category added to your licence.
(You can tick as many provisional category’s on the D2 form as you like, meaning in the future you would not need another medical)
4. Start studying for the theory and hazard perception tests. For HSM customers we have a revision/practice website please contact us at info@HSMdrive.com
5. When you have your licence back and you feel ready, you should book your theory & hazard perception test. Unlike your car driving test, this is two separate tests, but you can book them for the same day.
If you are planning to drive on a professional basis you will also need to pass an initial CPC test, this is spilt into two tests, CPC Case Study Theory Test (Part 2) which can be taken at the same time as your theory and hazard perception tests and a CPC Practical Test (Part 4) taken with us at a DVSA test centre.
6. Once you have passed required tests, we can organise practical training followed with the practical test.
Once you are ready to book your training contact us by email – info@HSMdrive.com or call on 01582 715111 and we can arrange training and a test.
How the C1 practical test works
Your practical test will last about 1 hour and 30 minutes and includes:
- vehicle safety questions
- practical road driving
- off-road exercises
Vehicle safety questions
During your test you’ll be asked vehicle safety questions
Practical road driving
During your practical road driving, the examiner will see how you:
- use the vehicle controls
- move away at an angle, uphill and downhill
- do a controlled stop
- use the mirrors
- give appropriate signals
- show awareness and anticipation of other road users’ intentions
- manage your progress and control your vehicle speed
- deal with hazards
- select a safe place to stop
There will also be 10 minutes of independent driving, designed to test your ability to drive safely while making independent decisions.
The off-road exercises will include:
- an ‘S’ shaped reverse into a bay
- showing the uncoupling and recoupling procedure if you’re taking a test with a trailer
After you’ve taken the practical test your examiner will tell you if you’ve passed and explain how you did.
You’ll pass your test if you make:
- 15 or fewer driving faults
- no serious or dangerous faults
If you fail, you can book another driving test straight away, but you can’t take it for another 3 clear working days.
Driver CPC: Practical demonstration – Required if you drive on a professional basis
You must have passed the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 2 case study’s test before you can book the Driver CPC part 4 test.
You’re tested on being able to:
- load the vehicle following safety rules and to keep it secure
- stop trafficking in illegal immigrants
- assess emergency situations
- reduce physical risks to yourself or others
- do a walkaround vehicle safety check
The test is made up of 5 topics from the Driver CPC syllabus. You can score up to 20 points for each topic.
To pass you have to score at least 15 out of 20 in each topic area and have an overall score of at least 80 out of 100.
Great instructors, had Matt for the duration who was excellent throughout, despite failing first time he didnt lose interest and saw me through passing second time. can't recommend them enough!
Great school. I have taken the three day c1 d1 training course and passed the d1 yesturday with two minors and c1 today with one minor. The instructors i had, Matt and Dan were great, friendly and got me through both tests. If u need these on your licence i would definately recommend HSM. You do lots of driving and practice all the test route areas and go to the tests feeling confident. Thank you both again.
Excellent service from Matt passed my c1 test first time highly recommend.
Fantastic gents here! Highly accommodating, extremely professional and very skilled. I think the service for the price is great value! Couldn’t be happier with my experience and highly recommend them. Well done ?
Passed both c1 and d1 first time due to the excellent instructors. Both Matt and Dan made me feel very relaxed throughout the course. As it's a family run company they actually care about you and want you to succeed. Highly recommend using them.
Fab experience.Did my C1 in 2 days.Great people and great help.Thanks guys x
Brilliant couple of days training with Matt. He broke everything down, making it really straightforward and relaxed, and made sure I was ready to pass my b+e first time. Would recommend to anyone, great process from start to finish. Thank you!
Matt was a fantastic instructor, he made me feel much more relaxed and confident, helping me to pass first time.
Matt and Roy were both fantastic instructors, they both turned what has the potential to be a very stressful experience into a fun and relaxed experience whilst remaining highly professional and instructive at the same time. Thanks guys! I would recommend them to anybody.
I trained with HSM driver training. What a great bunch of guys! Dan, Roy and Matt were superb. From the first contact I had with them, asking questions about price and conditions, to the condition of the vehicles and the super quality of the training they provided me with, meant I passed both my C1 and D1 cats first time with no problems at all. All thanks to their knowledge, experience and patience in explaining it all. The whole experience was easy and pleasant, from start to finish. I’d definitely recommend them to anyone wishing to pass first time! From a very happy customer!
I did my B+E towing training and test with HSM and would highly recommend them. I really struggled to get to grips with the reverse manoeuvre. The instructors were so patient and came up with lots of ways to help me get my head round it. Thanks to their hard work I managed to pass my test first time. Thank you HSM!
I had failed a few tests before with different instructors so had completely given up hope of passing! Then I got Roy as an instructor and he was so patient and had a very relaxed approached to teaching. I was an extremely nervous driver but Roy’s calm teaching manner and sense of humour slowly helped build up my confidence to be a better driver so I was able to pass my test in the end! I would definitely recommend Roy as an instructor!
Great company, would recommend for anyone who wants to pass first time. ?
Really enjoyed my driving lessons with the harpenden school of motoring. Not only was Matt really friendly but importantly he also gave great driving instruction; he explained things very clearly and was always happy to tailor his approach to help me with any areas which I struggled with. I started lessons at the end of September and just over two months later I'd passed my test first time, with 0 minors, so I really couldn't recommend HSM more highly!
I did the 3 day course and passed first time, Matt was a great instructor and very informative.
Very professional and booked me in for a test last minute. Well recommended.
Passed both c1 d1 due to the excellent instrcutors. Both Matt and Dan made me fell very relaxed early on. The company is a family run and it really comes across as they care and want you to succed. Highly recommend them.
Completed my D1 minibus training with Dan and Matt, and passed first time! Great instructors that make you feel at ease from the start. Couldn't recommend them enough.
Just finished my weeks training and tests for cat C and cpc today, passed both tests first time, massive thanks to Matt my instructor, really helpfull and puts you at ease, would defiantly recommend this company to anyone wanting driver training!
Passed my C1/D1 tests first time around with Roy. Was very patient with me and is an excellent instructor . Would recommend this company very highly to anyone looking to gain a larger vehicle licence as well as a car licence.
Can not say enough good things about this company the training was spot. The trainer was very good at his job and the vehicle was great. Again would recommend to anyone can not say enough about these guys.
Great driving school! I enjoyed my LGV course. Highly recommend.
Top class's service. Very professional and highly recommend. Passed my Cpc and c1 first time. Thank you so much guys.
Really enjoyable few days with Matt. Felt very well prepared for the test. Very personable, honest and helpful throughout the experience. I would highly recommend HSM to anyone looking to undertake their test.
I have just finished my 3 days of mini bus training and have passed first time. I had Matt train me over the 3 days and he was excellent. Matt made me feel very relaxed and was very knowledgeable. He took me round all the routes that I could have had on my test so I was familiar with the roads. I would definitely recommend this company.
I had great input from Roy and Dan during my 3 day C1/D1 course. Really helped me get rid of bad habits, improve my driving and pass first time; would recommend HSM every time. Thanks guys 🙂
I completed my D1 minibus training with Matt over the course of 3 days and he was extremely knowledgeable, honest and helpful. We practiced test routes which was great as I was unfamiliar with the area and it put me more at ease! It was an enjoyable few days learning so I would definitely recommend using HSM driver training. Thanks Matt!
Just passed my B+E today after a 1.5 day training course and test with very little experience towing, had the pleasure of meeting Dan and Matt on separate days and couldn't fault either of them, both really professional, good teachers and I would highly recommend. Will definitely be sending my misses to do her training with them when she wants to do it.
A really good and professional company. I did my bus PSV test with Matt, a really nice guy with a lot of patience. Saw others from the company being taught in HGV and trailer reversing all at their yard. Highly recommended.